I’ve just spent about RM300 revamping my entire kitchen of cooking oils, herbs, seasonings and etc because I want to prepare healthy, safe and wholesome food for our family.
After all, what’s the point of:
- breastfeeding them,
- cloth diapering them and
- buying them BPA-free milk bottles if they eat “foods” loaded with chemicals, preservatives and pesticides once they start solids?
When I started the “Real Food Challenge” last month, I learned a lot about healthy eating.
The best part is having my fussy eater actually ASKING for lettuce leaves (read about our “salad days” here) while all of us were eating deep-fried squid rings because “I saw Mummy eating salad”
Organic foods and toiletries are expensive, which is why I didn’t jump onto the bandwagon earlier.
Now that almost everyone knows someone who has either a critical illness or a chronic health problem, I think it’s time I give my kids on a healthy start. I have only bought the kitchen essentials – let’s see how long they last…
Here’s what I bought:
1. Country Farm Organics 100% Organic All Purpose Flour for Cake & Pastry (950 gm 2) - promotional pack for RM14.50
2. Country Farm Organics Fruity Muesli (375 gm) – RM13.90 less 10% – RM12.51
3. Pandan chiffon cake – RM3.30 less 10% – RM2.97 – my little girl who hates cake loved it!
4. Organic raisin buns 3 x 3 – RM4.50 less 10% – RM4.05 – we had them with real butter and St. Dalfour strawberry jam for breakfast
5. ie Organic Natural Brown Rice Bihun (Vermicelli) 400 gm – RM5.50 less 10% – RM4.95
6. alce nero Organic Durum Wheat Semolina Pasta Spaghetti – 500 gm – RM9.10 less 10% – RM8.19
7. Springlife Asian Pasta Soba Buckwheat Noodles – 240 gm – RM6.50 less 10% – RM5.85
8. 10 Grains Ring Snacks - organic flaxseed, barley, quinoa, black wild rice, millet, brown rice, rye, medium rice, mountain red rice and buckwheat – cheese flavour, oven-baked, no MSG, sugar-free, cholesterol free, high fibre – 50 gm – RM3.50 less 10% – RM3.15 – expensive junk food for me actually since the kiddos don’t get such snacks at home.
9. Healthy Eggs – 1 carton of 10 eggs – RM4.90 less 10% – RM4.41 – organics eggs are super expensive since the cost came up to about RM0.70 per brown egg!
I used 8 eggs this morning to make scrambled eggs for 2 adults and 1 child and hard-boiled eggs for the other child. Then again, it’s still cheaper than having a similar meal at the coffee shop.
10. Lotus Cycles Organic & Vegetarian Food Brown Rice Cracker – no frying, no colouring, no preservatives – brown rice, sesame seed and cane sugar – 21 squares – RM4.90 less 10% – RM4.41 – This is isn’t organic but I thought I’d buy one pack to try.
11. Country Farm Organics Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – 1 litre – RM59 less 10% – RM53.10 – I read a lot about the health benefits of virgin coconut oil. If you haven’t tried it yet, you should. Adults take 1-2 tablespoons a day while kids take 1-2 teaspoonfuls.
12. Natural French Sea Salt – 4 x RM6.50 less 10%
13. Gabro Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Cold Press) for salads – RM24.90 less 10% – RM22.41
14. best ground Organic Blue Agave – 333 gm – for pancakes! RM14.90 less 10% – RM13.41 (The boy *loves* the fake maple syrup McDonald’s serves with their pancake breakfast – I want him to eat the good stuff so he’ll learn how to differentiate between wholesome quality food from junk)
15. Health Paradise Organic Ground Cayenne (Mild) – from India – 100 gm – RM7.90 less 10% – RM7.11
16. Sonnentor Organic Basil – RM15.90 less 10% – RM14.31 – A few ringgit higher than McCormick’s spices (RM12.30+ at Tesco) but organic spices are important because I read that non-organic spices are irradiated, which are harmful to your body.
17. Sonnentor Organic Oregano – RM15.90 less 10% – RM14.31
18. Laleli Organic Virgin Olive Oil for Cooking – 1 litre – RM39 less 10% – RM37.05 – Did you know that olive oil is not suitable for cooking? Olive oil should only be eaten in its original form i.e. for salad dressing or drizzled over pasta.
That’s why I was surprised to see an olive oil produced especially for cooking. I hope that we still get the health benefits of olive oil…
Since I ran out of kids’ shampoo, I decided to try out Baby Organics Top-to-Toe Wash in Cucumber and Peach – RM32.90 x 2 = RM65.80 less 10% – RM59.20.
I also bought 2 x 900 gm packs of Country Farm Organics Full Cream Milk from Jusco. The kids are currently drinking 2-3 x 7 oz Fernleaf Full Cream Milk and I’ve been mixing half-and-half with no complaints.
That’s it for now. Here’s to health!